Minutes for Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 54 people present.
The president, Brian Campbell, welcomed everyone and called the meeting to order at 7:35 pm
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction
- Brian welcomed the participants and gave opening remarks.
- to approve minutes of the May meeting
- motion made by Eva Hoffman, seconded by Hugo Palle
- Treasurer’s Report
- Funds in account at the end of August: $5623.83
- there will be $400. Coming out of the account shortly to cover the cheque to the “Sharing Farm (re: workshops)
- We have 107 members paid up until the end of 2013.
- there are already 22 members sign up for 2014
- Candle Making workshop
- VP Lianne Shyry reminded everyone about the upcoming Candle Making Workshop and Potluck to be held from 1 till 3 on November 30 at the Red Barn at Terra Nova park in Richmond. A sign up sheet was circulated to get volunteers to help especially with set and clean up. There will be more specific information on costs and details next month.
- BCHPA Conference
- Jeff Lee, Metro Vancouver representative to the BCHPA, encouraged club members to attend the Hive and Thrive conference being held in Kelowna from Oct 24- 26th
- The business meeting will include some very important issues. There will undoubtedly be strong debate and discussion about reopening the border to allow packages and queens from US
- Many excellent speakers are lined up for the educational day on SUNDAY
- Members may enter their honey in the Honey Contest. (ed note: last year, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners were all members of the RBA!!)
- Three newbees introduced themselves to the club.
- Draws were made with members winning a honey jars, frame reinforcers, hive tools etc.
- (Post Break) Presentation – John Gibeau
- John spoke about the many different aspects of bees that his company is involved with. These included:
- Pollination (main commercial source of income)
- Honey & numerous other bee products (propolis, pollen, royal jelly etc.) Film Industry, School programs & and his store.
- He also spoke about his involvement in the “World Bee Project”. It is a non-profit organization he has set up to help farmers in developing countries create viable village economies around bee keeping.
- He gave information about the October 12 Apitherapy Conference that his store has organized.
- Motion: to Adjourn 9:15……Carried
- Next Meeting : Tuesday, November 12, 2013