Minutes for Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 64 people present.
Meeting called to order at 7:28 pm.
- Welcome : Motion
- to approve minutes from the January meeting
- motion made by Jeff Lee and seconded by Barbara Oakey
- Two “Newbees” were introduced
- Julia Common spoke on the Bee Masters course held at UBC in February 2014.
- Funds in account at the end of month…$6503.16
- Open discussion on the importance of wasp traps at this time of year to capture the queen wasps.
- Jeff Lee spoke on BCHPA meeting in Kamloops on March 15-16
- Jerry Mckee discussed a round table with the Senate in Ottawa happening soon. This is regarding neonics, binding agents and the effects on honey bee crops.
- Kelly McNeil asked if any beekeepers would be interested in putting a hive on Grouse Mountain with him. All interested should talk to him directly.
- Steve Bayley spoke about Sue Colby’s talk in Washington on bee breeding. Sarah Common discussed the progression on projects in Vancouver with Pollinator Pathways.
- Garrett Wilkinson, Julia Common and Gux Axen provided a comical yet informative panel on spring maintenance and what we should be seeing in the hive. Lianne Shyry was the mediator directing questions.