Minutes for Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 53 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:32 pm.
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction
- 2 “Newbees” were introduced
- to approve minutes of the April meeting
- motion made by Brian Saunders, seconded by Fiona Gold
- Opening Remarks and Introduction
- Survey Monkey has gone out-only 28% have responded, please fill in by June 7, as that is the deadline.
- Day of the honeybee is May 29, there are a number of events going on around town that you can attend or help out at.
- June field day is June 20 at Terra Nova Sharing Farm. It’s a potluck, so please bring something delicious to share. This will happen rain or shine.
- EXTRACTOR UPDATE: Miriam and Eric have a new 4 frame extractor, it’s motorized!! Please call Miriam to organize the pickup/rental of it. 604-298-5863, this info is also on the website
- On May 30 Campbells Gold is hosting the IPM Course taught by Heather Higo. It’s $25 each and well worth the ticket price.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Funds in account at the end of month…$7739
- Panel discussion on April 28, 2015
- Tim Monaghan went over the meeting that we had on April 28. A panel of speakers came in for a talk about navigating herbicides, pesticides and neonics. It was a great speaking engagement with 20+ speakers present.
- Early Season warning
- Because everything is blooming 2-3 weeks early everyone is encouraged to plant pollinating blended flowers. West coast Seeds has some great options.
- Fiona Gold spoke briefly about the petition she’s writing with regards to neonics
- Coffee Break & Raffle
- Presentation: Paul van Westendorp
- Paul spoke on AFB, top bar hives and pesticides/neonics
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:03… Carried
- Next Meeting: Field day: June 20 at Terra Nova