Minutes for Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 98 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:40 pm.
- Welcome: Motion
- to approve minutes of the March meeting
- All those in favor raised their hands
- Minutes approved
- Opening Remarks by Tim Monaghan and a review of the recent Executive meeting held on April 4, 2016
- A suggestion to change the format of the meetings. There were varying opinions of this, but changes included: Change meeting time from 7-9pm and have a 30 minute coffee break for more socializing. To have a ‘mentor table’ where new beekeepers can go over and talk to experienced beekeepers for suggestions and mentorship. Also, have a posting of activities that certain beekeepers are doing, where they invite 5 people to come watch, like a mini class. There were a LOT of ideas thrown out.
- A decision to start the next meeting at 7:30, as usual, and take a 30minute coffee break, as a start.
- BCHPA AGM
- We need volunteers to make this a successful event, those that are able to volunteer please contact Tim Monaghan. Also, anyone with expertise in areas involving Advertising, Marketing, Finance ect. Are encouraged to volunteer if possible, as you can bring a lot to the table for the club.
- Changes to Medicines used in the Hive
- Judy spoke about the changes we can expect to see with regards to the application of medicines in the hive. In 2017 we can expect to see the use of medicines regulated by Veterinarians. Where you would need a prescription to purchase things like Fumigilan-B and Oxytet-25, so that only hives sick with a disease can be treated. As we get more info on this it will be shared.
- Swarm List:
- Eric Crosby will be updating the swarm list, an email will be sent out for the info that Eric needs. Please remember that just because you’re on the swarm list doesn’t mean that you will get a swarm, we only get calls from certain areas of the lower mainland. Eric does his best to get a hold of everyone, but depending on the number of swarms that isn’t always possible.
- The Extractor:
- Miriam Soet has been the long standing care taker of the extractor, but she will be away for a good part of the summer, so unable to accommodate pickups. Barb and Ian Ropey will be taking over this position. THANK YOU!!!
- The Website:
- We are getting a quote to expand our website and include more content. Anna and Andrew will be sending a quote to the club on this project which we will discuss at the next meeting.
- Field Day this year is June 12, being put on by the Langley Bee Club. More info to come later.
- Bees and Beers:
- This casual meeting is held on the 4th Tuesday of every month at Toby’s Pub on Commercial Drive from 6-9pm.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Funds in account at the end of month…$8557.36
- Coffee Break & Raffle
- Presentation: Heather Higo
- Heather spoke about swarming
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:24pm… Carried
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 10, 2016